Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cloth Diapering Through a Hurricane

I have lived in South Florida now for 7 years but I have only been living in South Florida with a child for 2 years. Just recently Ashley asked me what my plan was regarding cloth diapers and the hurricane that is evidently headed our way. Opps! Hadn't thought of that! With only a few days left and Hurricane Emily seemingly headed straight for us, I guess I better think about it now.

My plan is to use gDiaper disposable inserts with the diapers I already have. I will make sure all the diapers are clean prior to the hurricane hitting so that will be one less worry. I was never a fan of gDiapers but when I was going to vacation I thought to try them with my own covers while we were traveling so I didn't have to carry poopy diapers on the airplane or in our luggage. Worked like a dream! You can use these inserts with pretty much any diaper, it just lays on top. I have used them in AI2 systems in place of the cloth soaker as well as pocket diapers. For pockets I just remove the cloth insert and lay the disposable on top of the inside. I realize that using these inserts may still result in a diaper or two being soiled in some way or another but even with the trace amounts of urine or poo that may make its way to the cover, they can easily sit in a pail for a week or more with no adverse affects.

Right now you can order the gDiaper disposible inserts on Amazon. I got a pack of Medium/Large that has 128 inserts for only $29.12 using Amazon Mom and Subscribe and Save. Amazon Mom is free and give you free two day shipping which means I will get my diapers on Friday and the storm is said to hit on Saturday. Subscribe and Save give you an additional percentage off and can be canceled at any time. Less than $30 DELIVERED is a GREAT deal considering this same pack is normally $52 retail, not including shipping.

If you are really opposed to my idea you could always go pick up a pack of disposables and call it a day. I definitely believe that disposable diapers have their place and hurricane/disaster situations are justifiable to me! Do what you think is right for you and your family. However I do encourage you do go with a more natural disposable and preferably one that is eco-friendly, free of chemicals and/or biodegradable like Broody Chick, Seventh Generation or Nature Babycare.

So if you live in South Florida and are bracing for Hurricane Emily this weekend, better buy some disposable inserts or eco-friendly disposables right this second! Don't worry if you don't end up needing to use them this time. They will still be usable next time around, or use them out and about, while traveling or wherever. I love them :) Also don't forget to put together a Hurricane Preparedness kit for the whole family now that you have your babies bottom covered. (And PLEASE don't forget about your pets!)

If you have any tips or advice for cloth diapering through a hurricane please feel free to leave us a comment letting us know!

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment